Sunday, December 31, 2006

Changing A Character



Tomorrow is the day! The Big Day!

No, I’m not talking about any wedding – especially for me. Nor am I referring to the first day of the year. I’m talking about Sin’s Iniquity, my personal live story blog that I do for a whole month.

First about the book:
Sinclaire wants simplicity in her life. In order to prove her self worth to her ungrateful and evil mother, she is studying for the bar and in no way does she want any one or anything to get in the way of her goal. That is until Dwight Bowman steps into her life and wants to very much get to know the plain Sinclaire. Despite what she wants to prove to her mother, Sinclaire can’t help her attraction to the wealthy powerful gorgeous Dwight and gives in to her heart. Yet, sins of the past are destined to tear them apart or kill them in the process of being revealed.

Second, about the blog:
A live story blog is my cure to defeat writer’s block. I post chapters of the book live for my readers, which are usually thought of about an hour to seconds before I post. That means my readers get to see what I’m writing only seconds after I think about it.

It sounds hard doesn’t it? It is sometimes, but it’s a challenge and I love a challenge. It’s actually fun because I get instant feedback from my readers right away about my writing.

Third: About the Characters (which is why I’m writing this blog)
Before I blog, in my head I’m mapping out the story. I don’t try to write anything down because I want love surprising myself and since I’m a character driven writer, I usually let my characters lead the story where it might. I just set down the foundation of the story and go from there. It’s like playing that video game the SIMS (I think that’s the name). You just set up the world and then let them do whatever they want. I’m the story teller and give my readers a glimpse into these characters lives for this period.

Well, my male hero started off an African American. He was a strong black man surviving on the mean streets of Chicago with two kids by himself. To bring more conflict to the story, I changed him to a white man living on the streets with mixed children and the adversity that he had to face. On top of this, I also changed the characters name from Christopher to Dwight. Not because of his ethnicity, but because my fingers were tired of typing that long name. LOL.

Why did I do such a thing?

Well, Sin’s Iniquity started off with a basic story line. A woman trying to get respect from her mother and thinking she can do it by improving herself as a person by going to law school. Then I needed a back storyline for Dwight, the male character. And the more adversity for him, the better to explain why he has such a calming demeanor. The man can’t go anywhere but up at this point.

I hope you join me on my journey to Sin’s Iniquity. I hope to keep you on your toes and I hope you comment often and vehemently! LOL.







Have a Happy New Year and blessings to come!!

Your Author,

Sylvia Hubbard






3 comments:

Shelia said...

I'm on my way to check out your story now. It will be a welcome retrieve.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

hey, when did u start this one - nice, u should do one of my books, i think you did a matter of attention before. happy new year

bettye griffin said...

A suggestion for those long names, or even short ones: Use the Auto Correct feature in Word. It's on the Tools menu. I use it for all my main characters' names, whether they be short (Dana) or long (Micheline.) I set it up so that by typing the first letter of the characters' name and then hitting the space bar, and Voila! There it is. Saves a bundle of keystrokes.

Bettye Griffin
www.bettyegriffin.com
www.chew-the-fat-with-Bettye.blogspot.com